Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a perfectly normal boy. Well, he would be perfectly normal if he didn't live in a graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor the world of the dead.

There are dangers and adventures for Bod in the graveyard: the strange and terrible menace of the Sleer; a gravestone entrance that leads to the city of ghouls; friendship with a witch, and so much more, But it is in the land of the living that real danger lurks, for it is there that the man Jack lives and he has already killed Bod's family.

The only other Neil Gaiman book I read was Coraline. I picked up The Graveyard Book when I saw it listed on 2009 Teens' Top 10 on ALA.org.

I really enjoyed this book! Each chapter represented a period of Nobody Owens' life from a baby to 15 years of age. Each chapter is also like a mini-adventure and tied into all these chapters is the main plot where The Man Jack tries to finish what he started. The illustrations by Chris Riddell at the beginning of each chapter and on the front cover really set the mood.

The story was planned out really well, every single chapter had a bit of foreshadowing and use for the next chapters. There was a large range of characters who are memorable, my favourites being Liza Hempstock who starts of sounding like a terrible and wicked witch but turns out you cannot always trust what you hear, and of course, Bod. I really did not want Nobody Owens' story to end (to continue but not being able to read about it)! I would have cried but my eyes are dry staying up late reading it!

This book is one that will touch your heart! It's a blend of mystery, horror, action, friendship, love.

★★★★★

There's a movie planned for 2011! I wonder whether it's cartoon or live adaption? Nevertheless, I'm anticipating it!

2 comments:

Alyssa Kirk said...

I really enjoyed this book too. It was my first Gaiman read and it was a good pick! Great opening lines!

Aarti said...

I just got this book on Monday and am looking forward to it! I have only read a few Gaiman books, but I really enjoy him as a writer- genius! And I like how he can write to all age groups.